Saturday, July 19, 2008

Goal Setting

Photobucket

Let's face it, I suck at setting goals. Ok, I take that back, I'm fine at setting them, but I give up pretty easily. It's something I've struggled with forever. I've met very few actual goals. I don't think it's a will power issue, I think it's a confidence issue.

You see, I've never been "Skinny" or even "Thin". Never. I've been thin-er and skinny-er, but never what the world would view as thin. Even when I played sports, I was never as thin as anyone else on the team. I've got a larger frame. I'm tall and have bigger hips, which are things I've always been ok with. I like having curves. However, my whole life I've been pressured to look like someone I'm not. I've been given the bad advice that if I lost weight, or whatever, that I would be more confidant. Except news flash-Confidence doesn't come from losing weight, it comes from setting and attaining goals!! Being the giver-upper that I am, I've never had confidence that I can attain a goal I set, at least not physical goals, because the goals I've set are not realistic. So I fail every single time. Sound familiar?



People that have never struggled with their weight don't understand that. That's why it's so easy for them to point fingers and blame it on laziness. I will never be a size 4. There, I said it. I WILL NEVER BE A SIZE 4...EVER! That is okay with me, and thin people that spend their time looking down on the chunky dunkers like me should just accept that. That would be like me saying every thin person has and eating disorder, which I would never ever say. People are built differently. I know thin people that can out eat me every single time and never ever work out. I know fat people that work out a lot and eat small meals and don't lose weight.

So today is a new day. I'm going to watch what I eat, and I'm going to commit to working out, but I'm not going to kill myself over it. I'm not going to let myself fail because I'm going to make healthy, realistic goals, which I will post later, or tomorrow. I'm going to enjoy life, and eat out occasionally. Being healthy shouldn't be torture. So if you want, hop on the get healthy bandwagon. No pressure here! Let me know what your goals are! Even if it's not a physical health goal. The point is self-improvement, and we all need some!

No comments: